Parliamentary Borough of Huddersfield
The Parliamentary Borough of Huddersfield was created in 1832.
It was initially comprised of only the Township of Huddersfield after the Government Commissioners' Report advised not to include any parts of the neighbouring townships within the wider Parish of Huddersfield.
Upon the whole, we see nothing that would make it desirable to take in more to the Proposed Borough than the Township of Huddersfield alone. We recommend, therefore, that the Borough of Huddersfield be identical with the Township.
The Parliamentary Borough was extended by the Boundary Act of 1868 to incorporate the following areas:
- township of Almondbury
- township of Dalton
- township of Lindley-cum-Quarmby
- township of Lockwood
- portion of the township of Longwood (approx. 200 acres)
- hamlet of Lower Linthwaite
- two detached portions of the township of South Crosland
The Parliamentary Boundary Commissioners met in Huddersfield in July 1917 to hear the following proposals regarding alterations to the existing boundary:
- Huddersfield Corporation said they would not object to the proposal that the parliamentary borough boundary be altered so that it matched that of the existing county borough, although this would mean the loss of between 300 to 400 voters out of an estimated 1,800 population.
- The four urban districts of Kirkburton, Kirkheaton, Lepton and Whitley Upper requested that they become part of the Huddersfield Parliamentary Borough for the purpose of general elections (rather than becoming part of the County Borough). The request was supported by Huddersfield Corporation.
- The Medical Officer of Health for the borough estimated that the population now exceeded the limit of 120,000 for a single member of Parliament, therefore Huddersfield was entitled to be represented by a second M.P.
The single recommendation of the Boundary Commissioners was that the parliamentary boundary be altered to match the county boundary, meaning the loss of the hamlet of Lower Linthwaite from the existing parliamentary borough but the gain of a portion of Outlane "which was in the Colne Valley for parliamentary purposes".
The Representation of the People Act of 1918 also saw the creation of the following:
- Colne Valley Parliamentary Division — comprised of the urban districts of Farnley Tyas, Golcar, Holme, Holmfirth, Honley, Linthwaite, Marsden, Meltham, New Mill, Saddleworth, Scammonden, Slaithwaite, South Crosland, Springhead, and Thurstonland
- Penistone Parliamentary Division — including the urban districts of Denby & Cumberworth, Kirkburton, Penistone, Shelley, Shepley, and Skelmanthorpe
- Spen Valley Parliamentary Division — comprised of the urban districts of Birkenshaw, Birstall, Drighlington, Gildersome, Heckmondwike, Hunsworth, Kirkheaton, Lepton, Mirfield, Spenborough, and Whitley Upper
Prior to the 1950 General Election, the parliamentary boundary was extended and the revised wards were allocated to two separate constituencies:
- Huddersfield East
- Huddersfield West
The following map (also available as a Google Map) shows the ward boundaries as marked on the 1960 O.S. 1:2,500 map, with the colour denoting the two Parliamentary constituencies.
Huddersfield was reconstituted a single constituency for the 1983 General Election when Barry Sheerman was returned as the Labour M.P. for Huddersfield.
Notes and References
- "Redistribution" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (05/Oct/1917).
- "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).