Parkwood Mills, Longwood
- location: Grove Street, Longwood
- status: still exists but now in different use
- category: mill
The mill was converted to residential use following a successful planning application in 2003.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 4 December 2002
- listing entry number 1096026
GROVE STREET. Longwood. Parkwood Mill.
Integrated Room and Power woollen mill. Mid-late C19. For the firm of John Broadbent and Sons, and tenants. Coursed local gritstone, stone and slate roofs. Plain style with little embellishment- some sill bands, dentilled eaves. A fire-proof interior to mill #2, at the north end next to the internal engine house; otherwise cast iron columns support massive timber cross beams, the column having flat faces for power transmission systems.
The main buildings of the group are numbered 1 to 8:
- The earliest surviving mill, built early 1850's on the site of John Broadbent's first mill. Parallel to and on west side of Stoney Lane. Five storeys, fifteen bays; wide pitched roof; rear stair tower centre. Re-roofed in the 1950's when the interior was rebuilt with concrete pillars and floors separate from the walls.
- Probably built 1864, the first of the mills built during rapid expansion under the ownership of Butterworth Broadbent. Six storeys, sixteen bays. M roof; tall water tower with pyramidal roof centre of east side. Internal end engine house retains massive stone block walling and casting to support gearing of power transmission system. This engine house converted to rope race when the new engine house was added on the north end of west side early C20. Former boiler house at the north end, opening off the east side mill yard. The early C20 engine house of mill #2 at the north end has ornate moulded gable coping and round-arched windows. The interior retains original white, blue and brown glazed brick wall linings and bricked east end opening for the rope race into the former end engine house. To north again former coal stores, economiser and surviving chimney of 1877. The chimney has a tall square stone plinth with corbelled cornice and brick chimney stack with moulded crown mounted on top. Reported to have been designed as a viewing platform and chimney on an Indian model by John Edward Broadbent who had served in the Indian army. It is a form known in Manchester cotton mills of the mid C19.
- Built about 1866. Six storeys. Extension of #2. Three parallel roofs and projecting privy/stair tower with taking-in doors on centre of south side.
- Built about 1868 on the west side of #2. Three storeys. Modified mid C20 and few original features survive.
- Built about 1870. Three storeys, twelve bays. Three parallel hipped roofs.
- Completed by 1882. Four storeys. Built parallel to and on east side of Stoney Lane. Eighteen bays altogether, rear stair / privy tower. Glazed slate roof.
- Built with #6 southern section.
- The mill offices and entrance range, south of mill #1 and fronting the bend of Stoney Lane. The building to right of the arch is an office and dyehouse and may include early structure.
The small mill reservoir at the north-east corner of the site is shown on the 1893 25" O.S. map extending on the north side of the road, close to the Methodist Chapel. By 1872 there were 12 named concerns in the Mill Rent Book and by 1881 there were 14 tenants. By 1887 the tenants included spinners, manufacturers, one dry finisher. In November of that year the Broadbents acquired the finisher's company and it became the Longwood Finishing Company Ltd, shares remaining in the hands of the Broadbent family until 1910. Lockwood Mills closed in 2001. The mill is a complete and unique example of the development of a large Room and Power business which returned to single company ownership in World War I. The mill stands in the centre of Dodlee Longwood Edge conservation area, 1981. Associated buildings include the Methodist chapel and the stone built valley-bottom village , mill owner's house and cottages on the hill side.
References: J. Ainley, Parkwood Mills: a sad farewell. 2001; E.Lockwood, Colne Valley Folk, 1936; A.J.Brooke, Catalogue of Textile Mills in the Huddersfield area, 1790-1914. The business records of the Longwood Finishing Company are at the Brotherton Library, University of Leeds and at Kirklees library.