Parish of Kirkburton
The historic ecclesiastical parish of Kirkburton comprised the following townships and chapelries (hamlets are listed in parenthesis):
- Cumberworth Half (later became Skelmanthorpe)
- Fulstone (Fulstone and part of Scholes)
- Hepworth (Hepworth and part of Scholes)
- Kirkburton (Kirkburton and High Burton)
- Shelley (Shelley and Shelley Lane End)
- Skelmanthorpe (formed 1876 following rationalisation of Cumberworth Half)
- Thurstonland (Storthes and Stocks)
- Wooldale (Wooldale and part of Scholes)
The Holmfirth Civil Parish was formed on 1 April 1921 from Austonley, Cartworth, Netherthong, Upperthong and Wooldale.
The extent of the historic Parish of Kirkburton (compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s) is shown below.
Notes and References
- The township of Cumberworth was historically within parishes of High Hoyland and Silkstone). Portions of Cumberworth Half also lay within the parish of Emley.