The Woolpack, also known as "The Old Wool Pack Inn", is a public house situated on Lockwood Road.
The Woolpack was reportedly opened in 1837.
In January 1852, the workpeople of Messrs. W. & H. Crosland of Folly Hall were treated to "an excellent supper" at the Woolpack, after which "the evening was spent in the most agreeable manner." A couple of weeks later, the hand-loom weavers employed by Messrs. John and Taylor and Sons of Newsome, were treated to a similar supper.
The ending of the Crimean War was celebrated throughout the district, including tea parties for the women of the Lockwood which were held at various Bentley & Shaw Ltd. pubs. Reportedly around 50 women attending the party held at the Woolpack. In the evening, the women marched with a band to Woodfield House, where they paid their respects to Bentley Shaw for contributing towards the costs of the parties. The Chronicle took delight in reporting that "one eccentric woman caught another, about 82 years of age, named Mally Shaw, in her arms, and, holding her like a child, danced to a tune played by the band."
Moore found himself in front of the local magistrates after being caught serving alcohol on a Sunday. Superintendent Heaton had conducted a tour of the local public houses during the weekend of Honley Feast and found people drinking at both the Victoria Inn and the Woolpack in Lockwood. Moore was fined a total of 12s. 6., which the magistrates felt would be more than he would have made from unlawfully selling the beer — Moore replied that it was "a good deal [more]", which caused "much merriment" in the court.
In the early hours of 21 July 1857, a police officer doing the rounds of Lockwood discovered the body of Sarah Moore lying in New Street, Lockwood. Her throat was "severely cut" and a razor was at her side. In what was reported as an attempt at suicide, she had luckily not severed an artery and recovered.
Benjamin Moore died in 1862, aged 47.
After Henry Sumner's death in March 1877, his wife Betsey (née Mallinson) took over the licence and ran the inn until her death in March 1889.
"The Old Wood Pack Inn" was sold by auction on 16 April 1889, following the death of landlady Betsey, and was described as follows:
The house contains on the ground floor — Spacious bar and order office, commercial and smoke rooms, and kitchen. On the first floor — Large sitting-room and four bedrooms. There are also two good cellars.
The outbuildings comprise a two-stalled stable with bay-loft over, coach-house and bottling shed, together with other out-offices and conveniences.
The house is in an excellent situation, and affords every opportunity for doing a good family trade ; it has a capital frontage, and is in every way adapted for an extensive business.
The site of all the above contains 868 square yards (more or less), and is held on lease for 999 years, from the 25th March, 1844, at the apportioned low ground rent of £3 19s 1d per annum.
The next landlords were George Beaumont and his wife, Eliza. Following George's death in November 1892, Eliza took over the licence for a few months.
Samuel Hawkyard and his wife Miriam became licencees in 1893 and the Woolpack remained in their family for the next 32 years.
Following Samuel's death in 1904, Miriam took over until her death in late 1907. Their daughter, Ellen Ann Hawkyard, then took over at the start of 1908, marrying Arthur Hall the following year. After Arthur's death in 1917, Ellen Ann remained the landlady until her death in 1925, aged 51.
Where known, the dates are when the licence was granted, renewed or transferred:
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
Originally titled OLD WOOLPACK, this inn opened in 1837, licensee Francis Crow. Owned by the Sumner family for many years, Bentley & Shaw obtained the house in 1893. Rebuilt 1931/2 this Bass house is still open.