This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- appears on maps: 1905 [#38], 1905 [#38]
- location on map: Hungerford Road, Marsh
- status: still exists
- category: private house
- notes: now "Oakwood House Nursery & Forest School"
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 29-Sep-1978
- listing entry number 1134154
HUNGERFORD ROAD 1. 5113 (West Side) Edgerton No 2 (Oakwood) SE 1217 27/669 II 2. Mid C19. Hammer dressed stone. Ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Bracketed eaves cornice. Strings. 4 ranges of round-arched sashes, paired on 1st floor, with foliage capitalled colonnettes, moulded voussoirs and keystones. Ground floor windows have moulded surrounds and raised frames with dentilled and modillioned cornices, foliage panels and spandrels. 2 left-hand bays break forward. Porch in re-entrant angle, with 9 pink granite columns on raised bases connected by openwork balustrade, moulded voussoirs and elaborately carved keystones dentilled and modillioned cornice, open balustrade with carved piers and moulded cornice. 4 steps up with quadrant-shaped retaining walls carrying gadrooned and sculpted urns. Door with 4 moulded panels, semi-circular fanlight, moulded surround with colonnettes with foliage capitals. North front similar: 3 ranges with canted ground floor bay at right hand: panelled plinth, piers with foliage capitals, entablature and parapet as porch. Interior. Full height top-lit hall with bracketed cornice, some plaster decoration, patterned floor of very brightly coloured tiles and staircase with elaborate newels and bulbous balusters with foliage stems. One room with particularly fine plaster ceiling.