Formed in 1864 by 36 Baptists who had previously worshiped at Salendine Nook, they initially met at a premises in Quarmby. The foundation stone of their new chapel was laid on by Mr. George Walker in May 1867, with the Rev. Samuel C. Burn of Cardiff invited to become the first Pastor. In April 1989, the congregation united with Milnsbridge to form the West Huddersfield Baptist Church.
The Baptists of Yorkshire (1912) by Rev. C.E. Shipley:
The Oakes Church, Lindley, is another of the many children of Salendine Nook, and was formally constituted on December 29th, 1864, with thirty-six members who were originally in fellowship at “The Nook.” They met in the meeting house at Quarmby, their early baptisms being held in a mill reservoir, and in a pond. Mr. E. Cameron, of Rawdon College, was invited to the pastorate in January 1867, but illness — the result of an accident — terminated in the following June a life of much promise. In June, 1868, Rev. S. C. Burn settled as minister, and the new chapel was opened in December of that year, a substantial structure, seating 700 persons. It may interest the reader to know that the gallery front of iron tracery work is a reproduction of the gallery front in the first Metropolitan Tabernacle. Mr. Bum resigned at the close of 1872, and was followed by Rev. D. Davies (1873-8). During this period the school premises were erected, and opened in 1878. The total cost of the chapel and schools was £11,000, but the debt was entirely removed by the year 1885. In April, 1879, Rev. George Duncan accepted the pastorate, which he resigned in 1887, to be followed by Rev. W.H. Ibberson (1888-94), under whose strenuous ministry the cause made excellent progress, and an organ was purchased at a cost of £1200. In 1895, Rev. W.H. Holdsworth, M.A., was invited to the pastorate, but ill-health compelled his removal to Australia in 1897. Rev. J.H. Robinson was minister from 1898 to 1901, and in 1903 Rev. Evan Williams undertook the charge, which he held for three years. The present pastor, Rev. N. Bosworth, followed in 1907.