It was first published on Saturday 22 October 1881 at a cost of 1 penny and was described as being "devoted to the exposition of radical principles."
Local solicitor Daniel F.E. Sykes was the proprietor for most of the paper's history.
In an article covering the newspaper's demise in July 1883, the Huddersfield Chronicle noted:
...it has ceased to exist, but the public life in Huddersfield will go forward, notwithstanding there will be a little less advocacy of "drastic measures of Reform."