Norman Haigh (1897-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HAIGH, NORMAN. Sergeant. No 240338. 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Quarmby Road, Huddersfield, 27.3.1897. Son of Walter and Sarah Jane Haigh, 23 Arnold Street, Birkby. Educated Hillhouse Council School. Attended King Cliffe United Methodist Sunday School, Hillhouse. Employed as an auctioneer's clerk by Messrs Edison, Taylor and Booth, auctioneers, of High Street, Huddersfield. Was a promising vocalist. Enlisted at the outbreak of the war. Wounded in the thigh, 20.11.1917. Died in a dressing station of his wounds, 21.11.1917, aged 20 years. Buried HERMIES HILL BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 3, Row E, Grave 28.
- Mentioned in a despatch from Sir Douglas Haigh, dated 7.11.1917, 'for gallant and distinguished service in the field. One evening he crawled out without any orders to reconnoitre an enemy post and managed to get quite close to the enemy wire. He was most anxious to do more than his duty and had he lived he would have most certainly have received a decoration for the gallant part he played in the attack on the Hindenburg Line on November 20th. That was a glorious day for the battalion.'
- ROH:- St. Andrew's Church, Leeds Road, Huddersfield; Huddersfield Drill Hall; Fartown and Birkby War Memorial.
Huddersfield Daily Examiner (04/Jan/1918):
Sergeant NORMAN HAIGH, Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Haigh, 23 Arnold Street, Birkby, has died of wounds. Sergeant Haigh was nearly 21 years of age. He joined the local Territorials at the outbreak of war, and was a promising young vocalist. He had been connected with the King Cliffe United Methodist Sunday School, Hillhouse, He was formerly employed by Messrs. Eddison, Taylor, and Booth, auctioneers, High Street.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Serjeant NORMAN HAIGH
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Wednesday, November 21, 1917
- age: 20 years
- record ID: 300265
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #300265)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1515868)