New Mill Urban District
The New Mill Urban District was formed towards the end of 1895, with the merging of the urban districts of Hepworth, Scholes and Fulstone.
The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.
Under the Representation of the People Act of 1918, the urban district became part of the Colne Valley Parliamentary Division.
New Mill Urban District was abolished in 1938 following a county review under the terms of the Local Government Act of 1929. The area was divided as follows (population figures are from the 1931 Census):
- 4,212 acres transferred to an enlarged Holmfirth Urban District — population 4,250
- 2,047 acres transferred to an enlarged Penistone Rural District — population 288
The extent of the urban district is show below (based on the 1906 O.S. map):
Notes and References
- ↑ "Redistribution" in Sheffield Daily Telegraph (05/Oct/1917).