New Church, Long Lane, Grove Place, Dalton
- also known as: Grove Place Chapel, Swedenborgian Chapel, New Jerusalem Church
- appears on maps: 1905 [#18]
- location on map: Long Lane, Grove Place
- status: still exists
- category: church or chapel
- notes: marked as a Swedenborgian Church on the 1905 map
Erected in 1825 and enlarged in 1850-51.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 29 September 1978
- listing entry number 1134961
LONG LANE (North Side) The New Church (Swedenborgian). Mid C19. Ashlar. Pitched slate roof. Gable end to street, with moulded coping. Angle pilasters. Two oblong windows flanking two round-arched ones, all with moulded surrounds. One storey enclosed porch with four Tuscan pilasters and full entablature with blocking course. Central pediment-shaped die inscribed "All religion has relation to life, and the life of religion is to do good. Swedenborg". Double doors with two fielded panels. Two oblong windows with moulded surrounds.
- Sermons, Doctrinal, Experimental, and Practical (1829) by John Parry, Assistant Minister of Grove Place Chapel, Dalton
Notes and References
- Yorkshire Returns of the 1851 Census of Religious Worship: Volume 3, West Riding (South) (2000) edited by John Wolffe.