Nettleton's Almshouses, Northgate, Almondbury

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

Built as 6 adjoining properties in the early 1860s, they bear the following inscription:[1]

These Almshouses were built by the Trustees of the late Robert Nettleton Esq., in the year 1863 for the perpetual relief of the poor of Almondbury. The money was granted out of the Charity Funds, at the Annual Meeting of the Trustees, on the 27th day of June 1860. Joseph Armitage, chairman. The land was given by Sir John William Ramsden, Bart.

Together with the nearby Parkin's Almshouses, the properties are maintained by the Almondbury Almshouses Charity.[2]

Discovering Old Huddersfield

Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:

On the right hand side of Northgate, just beyond the bus terminus, a notice points the way to Almondbury's almshouses, the earliest of which, six three roomed houses, were built at a cost of £600 and completed on the 28th March 1864. A stone tablet gives the details but as it is difficult to read without appearing to gaze into someone's window we give the inscription below:

"These almshouses were built by the trustees of the late Robert Nettleton, in the year 1863, for the permanent relief of the poor of Almondbury. The money was granted out of charity funds at the annual meeting of the trustees on the 20th January 1860. Joseph Armitage, chairman. The land was given by Sir John William Ramsden, Baronet."

Nettleton's Charity started with Robert Nettleton who, shortly before his death in 1621, settled his estate in trust for charitable purposes. A notable part of the Charity was the poor maid's grant which was a small sum (fifteen shillings in 1864) given to all women born within the township provided they did not produce a child within nine months of their marriage.

Location

Notes and References

  1. "The Almshouses Experience in the Nineteenth-Century West Riding" (2004) by Helen Caffrey in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal (Vol. 76).
  2. Registered charities in England and Wales: The Almondbury Almshouses Charity.