Netherwood, Dalton and Co., Limited
Netherwood, Dalton & Co. Ltd. were a printing, publishing and stationery company of Huddersfield.
The firm was likely established by James Arthur Netherwood (c.1867-1930). The 1911 Census noted that his son Harry Stoney Netherwood (1894-1957) was an apprentice in his father's business.
The 1909 Jubb's Directory lists the firm at Chapel Hill.
James Arthur Netherwood retired in the mid-1920s. The firm remained in the family with Harry Stoney's sons John, Richard and Jim, eventually taking over.
It became a limited company on 28 January 1924.
The firm suffered a blaze in December 1950 when three stacks of paper caught fire. However, the printing work's sprinkler system kept the fire from spreading until the local fire brigade arrived.
The firm was sold in April 1988.
The firms publications included the following books linked to local history:
- Albert Edward Lodge (No. 1783) Huddersfield: The History of its Minority (1900) by Edwin Sykes
- The History of the Dogley Lane Congregational Church (1919) by Rev. Harold Thomas
- Story of the Golcar Town School (1926) by John Griffiths
- Cloth Finishing: Woollen and Worsted (1927) by John Schofield
Notes and References
- Son of William Fieldhouse Netherwood. He married Edith Armitage in 1893. Died 7 January 1930 at Rastrick, Brighouse, leaving an estate valued at £4,374 10s. 9d.
- "Obituary: W.John Netherwood" in Yorkshire Post (18/Oct/2008).
- "Printing Works Blaze" in Yorkshire Post (29/Dec/1950).
- "Obituary: John Netherwood" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (21/Oct/2008).