Netherton Pillar Lamp
In the summer of 1865, work was carried out to improve the main road through the centre of Netherton village. This included the laying of a pavement and the erection of a gas pillar lamp at the junction with Moor Lane.
A Long-Needed Improvement. — Netherton for many years past has been much behind many villages in public improvements, but the formation of the railway and other causes appear to have given a good impetus to it, and, of late, considerable improvements have been made. Among the greatest of these is the laying down at present of a substantial and much-needed flagged causeway, together with the erection of a handsome pillar lamp, at the cross, which, when completed, will be an ornament to the village.
The exact date the lamp was first lit is unknown, but it was likely in September 1865 as indicated by a newspaper report published on 23 September:
Light! Light! — Netherton will now no longer be kept in total darkness during the long winter nights, especially in the centre of the village. In the middle of the cross, or what would be termed the market place, has been erected a handsome and ornamental pillar lamp-post, surmounted by a large hexagonal-shaped lamp which, when lighted, throws its rays a long distance on three roads, viz.: down the hill towards the Big Valley, up the road to Meltham, and along the road leading to Wrigley Mill. Besides this, there are two lamps on the Wrigley Mill Road, and one at the Rose and Crown Inn. The inhabitants have already experienced much benefit by having light (gas) thrown upon their ways.
The supplier of gas to the village was the Netherton Gas Company, established 1853. The company purchased their gas from Cocking Steps Mill and the initial contract was a supply from the first day of September each year until the last day of April the following year.
As some point after 1945, the pillar lamp was hit by a truck and decision was made to move it from the road junction to its current location opposite Netherton Fold.
The lamp celebrated its 150th birthday in 2015.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 03 April 1976
- listing entry number 1216281
MELTHAM ROAD (East Side) Lamp post at junction with Moor Lane. Mid C19. Ashlar base, square in plan with chamfered corners, bulbous further up. Iron stand with moulded plinth, acanthus-ornamented stem and cross bar. Four spur stones.