Netherton Gas Company
The Netherton Gas Company was formed in 1853 in order to sell surplus gas from the supply being generated by Messrs. John Wrigley & Sons at Wrigley Mills.
By September 1853, master plumber Joseph Boothroyd had completed the laying of a gas pipe from the mill up to the village and the Huddersfield Chronicle was able to report that "the inhabitants of Netherton are rejoicing in the light which has been happily shed upon them."
The company was wound up in 1894 when Huddersfield Corporation purchased its existing gas mains for £266.
Notes and References
- Huddersfield Chronicle (10/Sep/1853).