Netherthong Local Board

Huddersfield Chronicle (12/Apr/1862)

Netherthong Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of Netherthong and was formed on 3 April 1862 with an initial membership of nine persons.

Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.

In 1879, the local board's clerk, Thomas Mellor, was replaced by Harry Lomax who remained the clerk to both the local board and its successor until 1912.[1]

Netherthong Local Board was abolished towards the end of 1894 and was superseded by Netherthong Urban District Council.

  1. "Holmfirth Official's Long Service" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (26/May/1914).

Netherthong Local Board

Categories

Local Boards
This page was last modified on 15 April 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed