Netherthong

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
This page is currently under construction and isn't complete yet!

History

Historically, the township of Netherthong was part of Meltham and comprised the area known as Meltham Half.

Extracts

Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:

Nether and Upper Thong (or Thongue) are townships and villages in the parish of Aldmonbury, from one to two miles from Holmefirth. The manufactures are of the same description as those which prevail in the places before mentioned. At Nether Thong a parliamentary church was erected in 1830 ; it is of stone, and rather a handsome edifice, dedicated to All Saints ; the living is a curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Aldmonbury ; the Rev. David Hughes is the present curate. A chapel for Wesleyan methodists is at Dean-house, a hamlet a little to the north; and there is one also at Upper Thong. The population of both these townships is about 3,500.

A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:

THONG, NETHER, a township, in the parish of Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 5¼ miles (S. by W.) from Huddersfield; containing 1156 inhabitants. It comprises an area of about 875 acres, of which the soil is fertile, and in good cultivation; the village is pleasantly situated on an acclivity. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture. A district church, dedicated to All Saints, was erected in 1830, at an expense of £2869, of which £2500 were granted by the Parliamentary Commissioners, and the remainder raised by subscription; it is a neat structure in the early English style, with a campanile turret, and contains 700 sittings, of which 320 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Almondbury, with a net income of £150; impropriators, the Governors of Clitheroe school.

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:

THONG (Nether), a township and a chapelry in Almondbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Holme, and on the Huddersfield and Holmfirth railway, 4½ miles S of Huddersfield; and contains Thongs-Bridge hamlet, which has a post-office under Huddersfield, and a r. station. Acres, 850. Real property, £3,769. Pop., 1,097. Houses, 223. There are woollen manufactures and stone quarries. The chapelry includes part of Honley township, and was constituted in 1842. Pop. in 1861, 1,640. Houses, 326. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £125. Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury. The church was built in 1830. A workhouse, of Huddersfield district, was opened here in 1862, and had 200 inmates in 1868.

Location

Parish Boundary

The extent of the Civil Parish of Netherthong (compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s) is shown below.

[ open in new window ]

Netherthong

Categories

Civil Parishes | Pages under construction | Parish of Almondbury | Townships and Chapelries | Towns and villages
This page was last modified on 4 June 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed