Neiley Mills, New Mill Road, Honley

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • also known as: Shaw's Factory
  • appears on maps: 1892 [#84]
  • location on map: off New Mill Road, Honley
  • status: possibly still exists
  • category: mill
  • notes: woollen mill

Bobbin makers Gledhill and Roberts, Limited are known to have been based in a part of the mill in the 1870s.

The five-storey mill was gutted by a fire which started at around 8:30pm on 3 June 1914. At the time, the mill was owned by A. Thornton & Son Ltd. and the occupants were:[1]

  • Cooper, Liversidge, and Wood (wool & cotton dyers)
  • Herbert Scholefield & Co. (woollen manufacturers)
  • B.T. Cave Ltd. (yarn spinners)

The mill was later partially rebuilt.[2]

Further Reading

Location

Notes and References

  1. "Great Mill Fire at Honley" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (04/Jun/1914).
  2. Wool and Worsit: A History of Textiles in the Holme Valley (2013) by Michael Day, page 293.

Neiley Mills, New Mill Road, Honley

Categories

Buildings | Demolished buildings | Mills | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 18 June 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed