National School, Greenfield Road, Holmfirth

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: Greenfield Road, Holmfirth
  • status: exists but under a different use
  • category: school
  • architect: John Cuttell Teale

The school was officially opened on 7 September 1871. The following description appeared in the Yorkshire Post:

The schools are erected on land near to Modd, on the Greenfield Road, and a short distance from the church. The style of architecture is early English. The schools are built in the form of an L, the mixed school being 60 feet by 21 feet, and the infant school 40 feet by 21 feet; both schools are 13 feet high to the square, and all having find open timber roofs springing from nearly moulded corbals, and all the wood work is neatly stained and varnished. There are entrance porches and cloak-rooms, and a kitchen the full size of the class-room and 8 feet high. The mason's work is all in broken course, with neat ashlar dressings, with carved heads and bosses to principal doors and windows. The windows have iron frames filled with cathedral glass, quarry pattern, and fitted with Hooper & Bullock's ventilators. The architect is Mr. J. C. Teale, and the total cost is about £1150, towards which there has been raised over £900. The schools will accommodate 300 children, and are fitted up with all the latest improvements.

Location