Municipal Borough of Huddersfield
On Monday 17 February 1868, the Queen Victoria's Privy Council announced that a Charter of Incorporation would be granted to Huddersfield. This officially took place on 7 July 1868 and brought into existence the Municipal Borough of Huddersfield and also Huddersfield Corporation.
The borough initially had a reported combined rateable value of around £200,000 and comprised the following areas:
|area||townships (whole or part of)||population||acres||rateable value (£)|
|Almondbury Local Board District||Almondbury||4500||1508||7750|
|Bradley Local Board District||Huddersfield||781||1288||5106|
|township of Dalton (not inc. Moldgreen LBD)||Dalton||1675||991||5371|
|Deighton Local Board District||Huddersfield||1150||367||2000|
|hamlet of Fartown||Huddersfield||6971||1268||15000|
|Huddersfield Central Ward||Huddersfield||2115||13168|
|Huddersfield East Ward||Huddersfield||7445||15048|
|Huddersfield North Ward||Huddersfield||2490||29301|
|Huddersfield South Ward||Huddersfield||8270||15048|
|Huddersfield West Ward||Huddersfield||8270||29670|
|Lindley-cum-Quarmby Local Board District||Lindley-cum-Quarmby||5050||12008|
|Lockwood Local Board District||Lockwood & part of South Crosland||8445||860||20709|
|Marsh Local Board District||Huddersfield||6822||433||12000|
|Moldgreen Local Board District||Almondbury & Dalton||6960||597||12224|
|Newsome Local Board District||Almondbury||6000||880||7200|
The Town Council initially comprised 14 aldermen and 42 councillors representing the following 12 wards:
- Almondbury & Newsome
- Dalton, Bradley & Deighton
- Huddersfield Central (C)
- Huddersfield East (E)
- Huddersfield North (N)
- Huddersfield South (S)
- Huddersfield West (W)
- Lindley cum Quarmby
Part II of the Huddersfield Improvement Act of 1880 included a boundary extension which transferred a portion of the township of South Crosland into the Lockwood Ward (and therefore into the Municipal Borough) so that the entirety of planned Beaumont Park would be within the borough boundary.
When the West Riding County Council was formed in 1889, the municipal borough became the County Borough of Huddersfield on 1 April 1889 under the terms of the Local Government Act of 1888.
Extent of the Municipal Borough
The initial wards of the borough are shown below.
Notes and References
- "Municipal Incorporation of Huddersfield" in Huddersfield Chronicle (22/Feb/1868).