The site was selected in January 1872 on the recommendation of Borough Surveyor John Henry Abbey and consisted of an acre of land owned by Joseph Berry which was leased for 999 years at 3½d. per yard.
The foundation stone was laid on 20 September 1873 by Mr. J. Dodds, chairman of the General Purposes Committee. It was the third Board school to be built in the borough and the estimated cost was around £8,000. The school and its clock tower were designed by Leeds architect Charles Fowler, with Messrs. W. Mallinson & Sons the contractors. The Huddersfield Chronicle reported that the school would accommodate 300 boys, 300 girls and 400 infants.
Following a successful campaign in 2015 led by the Huddersfield Civic Society, the clock tower was saved from demolition and became incorporated into the designs for a new school to be built on the site.