Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Soon after the traffic lights at the top of Chapel Hill notice Chapel Street on the left. The names of both hill and street mark the one time presence of the Buxton Road Chapel, a so-called 'Dissenter's Chapel' built in 1775, which stood on the lower corner of Chapel Street. Originally called Old Bank Chapel it was the first Wesleyan Methodist church to be built in the town. It was rebuilt and renamed in 1837, closed in 1950 and subsequently demolished to make way for road improvements in the area.
Demolished at the same time was the Model Lodging House which stood next to the chapel. This was an old warehouse, converted in 1854 by the Improvement Commissioners, at a cost of nearly £6,000, to provide nightly accommodation for some two hundred of the poorest members of the community. The instigator of the scheme was a local Radical, Joshua Hobson, who was proud to state that the lodging house was the only one in England to be constructed and supported out of the public rates. The building was enlarged in 1879 to contain one hundred and eighty six beds. That there was a long-time need for cheap lodgings is revealed by the dealings for the year 1918, which show a 96% take up of beds:
The Model Lodging House continued to provide accommodation until it was demolished in 1957.
- Males, single — 6d per night — 14,893
Males, sharing — 4d per night — 44,620
Females — 4d per night — 3,898
Married couples — 8d per night — 2,006.