Miners' Square, Netherton

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: off Meltham Road, Netherton
  • status: no longer exists
  • category: yard with houses

Not named on O.S. maps, but was a courtyard with an entrance opposite Quarry Lane. It does not appear on the 1854 O.S. map, which implies the properties were built after the failed attempt to build Odd Fellows' Hall on the land in 1854. Census returns indicate that the Commercial Inn may have been one of the properties in (or very close to) Miners' Square.

The first census returns appear in 1881 with 39 people residing in 10 households:

  1. Arthur Rollinson (26) — worsted weaver
  2. Wilson Littlewood (24) — woollen warper
  3. Charles Todd (26) — iron moulder
  4. William H. Seymour (33) — quarryman
  5. Harriet Whiteley (50) — widow
  6. William Whitehead (35) — stone dresser
  7. Joe Woodhead (51) — stone quarryman
  8. Silas Shaw (25) — stoker at a wool factory
  9. George Crowther (35) — woollen weaver
  10. Sam Whiteley (25) — stone quarryman

The 1901 Census records 23 people in 9 households (plus 1 unoccupied):

  1. Tom Martin (24) — railway goods shunter
  2. James A. Bates (22) — farmer (and blacksmith?)
  3. unoccupied
  4. Joe Lunn (24) — stone delver
  5. Willie Todd (41) — woollen cloth weaver
  6. Fred Seymour (24) — stone quarryman
  7. George Roberts (72) — stone dresser (and road labourer?)
  8. Samuel Crowther (24) — beamer
  9. Mary A. Armitage (53) — widow
  10. Eliza Baxter (60) — widow

Location

Miners' Square, Netherton

Categories

Buildings | Stub entry | Yards
This page was last modified on 13 August 2016 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed