Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Just beyond the original Technical College building is the one time Milton Congregational Church whose founder members broke away from the Ramsden Street Chapel following disagreement in 1881. The church which opened in 1883 became a nightclub and disco in the early 1990s — a transformation that would have astonished and probably dismayed its founders. In March 1995 the former church became part of the University.
QUEENSGATE (East Side). Milton Congregational Church. Mid or late C19. Hammer dressed stone. Ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof. Rave and aisles. Transepts. North-west tower. West front has 2 octagonal turrets with pyramidal roofs, coped gable, cruciform finial and 2-light window with reticulated tracery in gable end. 3 principal 2-centred arched windows (flanked by square, blind-traceried panels). Centre window 3-light, with cusped bar tracery and 3 inscribed sexfoils: pointed hoodmould and 2 crocheted pinnacles applied either side. Flanking windows 2-light with cusped bar tracery and one inscribed trefoil each. Portal has planked double doors with elaborate iron hinges in pointed arch with 3 orders of colonettes with foliate capitals and moulded voussoirs, central order a band of foliage. Pointed and crocheted gable over, flanked by busts of angels in high relief. Blind pointed and cusped arcade either side. Low extension to south with steep pitched hipped roof, low parapet, and 4 small ogee lights. Planked door on south side, with ornamental iron hinges and shouldered surround with one order of foliage moulding. 5-storey tower with 2 strings, eaves cornice and parapet. Stir tower in north-east corner rises above parapet: octagonal pyramid roof. Top stage has massive pointed arched bell openings, with 3-lights per side: each light cusped, with top parts blind, and reticulated drop tracery below. Various single-lights and 2-centred arched door on north side with ornamental iron hinges, moulded voussoirs (including one roll of foliage moulding) and hoodmould. 4-bay nave: clerestory windows 3-light with reticulated bar tracery. Aisles very low with small cusped lancets. Transept terminals have 2 windows, each with 3 lights and geometrical bar tracery, oculus with the same, and tiny 2-light window in gable.