A surviving milestone on the Woodhead Road.
The stone is one of three that were placed every half mile on the road by the 1890s, showing the distance to and from Huddersfield. The milestone at this location reads, "TO/FROM HUDDERSFIELD 3 MILES". The others are at 2 miles and 2½ miles.
It replaced an earlier milestone at the same location on the Huddersfield and Woodhead Turnpike Road which read, according to the 1854 O.S. map, "HUDDERSFIELD 3 MILES. WOODHEAD 10½ MILES. BUXTON 31 MILES."