Representatives of the Midland Railway Company met with Huddersfield Corporation in March 1899 "for the purpose of settling the claims affecting Huddersfield in the bill which the company are promoting for the connection of their line from their land at Newtown, Huddersfield, to within a quarter of a mile of Mirfield, where they will join the L. and Y. Railway".
The line opened on 1 November 1910 and ran from 4.4. miles from the Newtown Goods Yard at Huddersfield to Lower Hopton Junction (near Mirfield). Although the line was planned for double tracks, only a single track was ever laid.
After the formation of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway company (LMSR) in 1923, the branch was shortened to 1.2 miles by connecting it to the Heaton Lodge to Huddersfield line at Red Doles Junction near Woodhouse Hall. The remaining section to Mirfield was closed in 1937, although it was later partly converted into the Calder Valley Greenway cycle path.
The Newtown to Red Doles section was closed in August 1968 and the line dismantled.
The original 4.4 mile route from Huddersfield to the junction at Lower Hopton is shown below:
The later 1.2 mile route from Huddersfield to Red Doles Junction is shown below: