This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- also known as Lindley Methodist Church
- appears on maps: 1905 [#47], 1905 [#47]
- location on map: off East Street, Lindley
- status: still exists
- category: church or chapel
The current church was designed by architect George Woodhouse of Bolton and replaced an earlier chapel on the site which was reportedly built in 1795. The foundation stone was laid in January 1867 by Mrs. James N. Sykes and work was completed the summer of 1868 at a cost of around £3,600. The masons were Messrs. Thomas and George Rhodes of Hillhouse, and the external walls were clad in stone from the Elland Edge quarries.
The chapel was enlarged in 1895/6, including a chancel designed by architect Edgar Wood.
The congregations of Lindley Zion and Thorncliffe Street were amalgamated joined with this church to form Lindley Methodist Church in 1960.
Notes and References
- ↑ "Lindley: New Wesleyan Chapel" in Huddersfield Chronicle (12/Jan/1867) and "New Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lindley" in Huddersfield Chronicle (13/Jun/1868).
- ↑ West Yorkshire Archive Service: Off the Record.