The Meltham and Meltham Mills Choral Society was formed in the summer of 1857 under the patronage of Charles Brook Jnr.
Within a few months, Joe Perkin — formerly the conductor of the Holmfirth Choral Society — had been engaged as their regular conductor and led them in a performance of Handel's "Messiah" in January and February 1858.
The society regularly met and performed at the Odd Fellows' Hall in Meltham until at least the 1890s.
In August 1881, the society held its annual picnic at the Wood Cottage Hotel, Harden Moss.
A combined garden fête was held with the Meltham Mills Band in July 1899 at Durker Roods, the residence of Charles Brook. Rain delayed the start of the event. The programme also featured ventriloquist Professor Land of Huddersfield, a gymnastic's display by 12 members of the Meltham Gymnasium, and an exhibition of "scientific boxing". The grounds were reportedly lit by "about 1,000 fairy lamps". A similar event was held the following year, although again it was disrupted by rain which forced moving the event of the Oddfellows' Hall.