The Meltham Urban District replaced the Meltham Local Board district, circa January 1895.
The elected urban districts councils replaced Local Boards following the Local Government Act of 1894 and were given increased powers and responsibilities under the Act.
The urban district was expanded on 1 April 1938 to include 772 acres of the former South Crosland Urban District.
The following annual reports by the Medical Officer of Health for Meltham U.D.C. are available to read online:
The initial extent of the urban district (based on the 1890s O.S. map) is shown below:
The 1896 boundary revisions expanded the urban district to include Meltham Mills and Wilshaw:
Following the addition of a portion of the former South Crosland Urban District in 1938, the final boundary of Meltham Urban District became: