Meltham Mills Mutual Improvement Society
The Meltham Mills Mutual Improvement Society was in existence by 1877 and held meetings at the National School. The society was linked to St. James' Church, with the Rev. A.W. Smith or the Rev. J.R. Jagoe chairing the meetings in the late 1870s.
Contemporary newspaper reports suggest that meetings usually consisted of guest lectures or essay readings.
The society was still holding meetings in 1885.
Notes and References
- "Meltham" in Huddersfield Chronicle (20/Oct/1877).
- "Meltham: Lecture" in Huddersfield Chronicle (28/Nov/1885).