Meltham Mills is an area to the east of Meltham which took its name from the mills established there by the Brook family.
The Meltham Mills Provident Co-operative Trading Society Limited was formed in 1827 and was the first society to pay dividends on purchases.
The area spanned across the adjoining townships and Meltham and Honley. However, a petition in February 1895 led to the Boundary Commission ruling in March 1896 that boundary be moved so that the entirety of Meltham Mills lay within Meltham.
Kelly's Directory of the West Riding of Yorkshire (1881):
MELTHAM MILLS is a village and ecclesiastical parish formed from the parish of Almondbury in 1845, about three-quarters of a mile east from Meltham and 4 south-west from Huddersfield, a part of it situated in Honley township and part in Meltham township, in the Southern division of the Riding, Huddersfield union and county court district, Huddersfield rural deanery, Craven archdeaconry and Ripon diocese. St. James' church is a handsome cruciform building in the Pointed style, erected in 1845 by the late James Brook esq. and consists of chancel, nave and square embattled tower with spire: it contains several stained windows. The register dates from the year 1845. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300 with residence, in the gift of Simeon's Trustees, and held by the Rev. Joshua Richard Jagoe, of Kings College, London. A convalescent home for Huddersfield and the neighbourhood was erected here by the late Charles Brook esq. J.P. of Enderby Hall, Leicester, in 1870-71, at the cost For building and endowment of £40,000; it will hold 60 patients, who are admitted by the recommendation of the Huddersfield Infirmary or by the trustees; chaplain, the vicar of Meltham Mills. Here are the extensive cotton mills of Messrs. Brook Brothers, and a short distance from these is a large silk mill. The principal landowners are the Earl of Dartmouth and Mrs. Green-Armytage and Jonas Brook and Brothers. The population in 1871 was 1,232.