McKitrick Bros. were mill furnishers, ironmongers, coppersmiths and sheet metal workers, with an office at 64 Buxton Road, Huddersfield.
The business was established by William Henry McKitrick and his younger brother Charles Wood McKitrick, who were residing at Spring Gardens off Buxton Road in the 1861 Census with their spinster sister Amelia Eskrick McKitrick.
A letter dated 24 June 1939 gave the company's telephone number as Huddersfield 1238/9 and noted the firm's partners as Arthur Matthewman and Thomas W. Shaw. Among their offerings were:
- bolts and nuts, steam tubes, steam values, steam packings, gauge glases, tools, files, ropes and bands, brushes, etc
- wheel covers, engine lagging, oiling motions, tin rollers, pattern cases, mud guards, radiators and ventilators
The 1937 Directory names the company as "ironmongers, mill furnishers & fireplace specialists".
A sheet metal business of the same name still operates at Folly Hall, Huddersfield.
Notes and References
- Early newspaper articles give the address as 48 Buxton Road.
- Born circa 1820 in Cheshire. Died 16 January 1885 aged 65, leaving an estate worth over £4,375.
- Born circa 1833 in Nottinghamshire. Died 4 September 1885 aged 48, leaving an estate worth over £6,597.
- Died 23 June 1913, leaving an estate worth over £22,108.
- Taken from a delivery note to Fisher, Firth & Co. of Marsden.