Marsh Ward

The Marsh Ward was an electoral ward within the Municipal Borough of Huddersfield and also a polling district within the Parliamentary Borough of Huddersfield.

The ward came into being during 1868 as part of the Huddersfield Charter of Incorporation and covered the same area as the Marsh Local Board District that it replaced.

In 1908, the ward boundary was substantially altered to include the northwestern part of the town centre whilst transferring a large area to the new Paddock Ward.[1]

Under the West Riding Review Order of 1937, the ward boundaries were again redrawn with an expansion to include Greenhead Park.

By the early 1970s and the formation of the Metropolitan Borough of Kirklees, it had been superseded by the Lindley & Marsh Ward.

As of 2018, the original Marsh Ward area is covered by Greenhead Ward and Newsome Ward.

Notes and References

  1. "Huddersfield" in London Gazette (06/Oct/1908).