Marsh Local Board
Marsh Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the hamlet of Marsh, situated within the historic township of Huddersfield, and was formed on 1 October 1866. Prior to that, the hamlet had a Board of Surveyors.
Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.
The Marsh Local Board District was abolished on 7 September 1868 when the hamlet became an individual ward within the new Municipal Borough of Huddersfield.
Marsh Local Board District
The extent of the local board district is given below.
Notes and References
- "Paddock" in Huddersfield Chronicle (19/Jan/1867).
- The boundary was taken from the 1868 Parliamentary Boundary map held by the Huddersfield Local History Library.