Between 1848 and 1868, a portion of the hamlet fell within the boundary of the Huddersfield Improvement Commissioners.
It was incorporated into the Municipal Borough of Huddersfield in 1868 and became an electoral ward within the borough.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
PADDOCK, with Marsh, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York; containing 3536 inhabitants. This place forms an appendage to the town of Huddersfield, by a continuous range of houses, and the inhabitants are mainly employed in the woollen manufacture. A district church, dedicated to All Saints, was erected in 1830, at an expense of £2500, by the Parliamentary Commissioners; it is a neat edifice, of stone raised from an adjacent quarry, in the early English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains 800 sittings, of which 200 are free: the churchyard is a handsome plot of ground. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Huddersfield, with a net income of £150. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends.
The extent of the former hamlet is shown below:
The extent of the other hamlets in the Township of Huddersfield circa 1850 is shown below, along with the adjoining townships:
Notes and References
- Based on the Yorkshire 246 O.S. map.