Marsden Mechanics' Institute
Marsden Mechanics' Institute was formed in November 1841.
The first anniversary meeting was held in January 1843, when around 200 people sat down to tea. The Leeds Times reported that "the remainder of the evening was delightfully spent, chiefly in experiments in chemistry, electricity, and galvanism".
Work began on building a dedicated mechanics' hall in 1860.
Notes and References
- "Marsden Mechanics' Institution" in Leeds Times (14/Jan/1843).