Huddersfield Corporation acquired the market rights from the Ramsden Estate in 1876 and then ran a competition to design a new market hall to be situated on King Street.
Architect George Edmund Street judged the entries and selected a design by Charles Fowler of London as the winner, for which Fowler received £150. However, that design was then rejected by the Markets and Fairs Committee who instead commissioned local architect Edward Hughes.
Hughes' "Domestic Gothic" design was approved in March 1878 and the the building opened to the public on 31 March 1880.
The hall was gutted by a fire on the weekend of 12/13th August 1965.
The building was demolished circa 1970. In the final stages of the process, the clock tower collapsed and killed two of the workmen.