Market Cross, Market Place, Huddersfield
Erected in 1671 (or soon after) following the granting of a market charter to Sir John Ramsden for the manor of Huddersfield.
The cross was removed to the grounds of Longley Hall around the the time of the Luddite uprisings and re-erected with a new base in June 1851 under the supervision of Joseph Kaye. Its position at Longley Hall is likely shown on the 1851 O.S. Town Plan as a pillar situated to the west of the hall.
The cross appears to have been sited in different positions in the Market Place over the centuries, rather than remaining in a fixed spot. According to Roy Brook, the cross was moved in 1906 and 1927. When a central section of the pillar was replaced in the 1920s, the stone was first soaked in dark beer until it matched the colour of the older stone. It was restored for the centenary of Huddersfield Corporation in 1968.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 3 March 1952
- listing entry number 1313548
MARKET PLACE. Centre Market Cross. 1671. Erected by Sir John Ramsden, 1st Baronet, when he was granted a Royal Charter to hold a market on this site. Two modern ashlar steps. Ionic column with roughly gadrooned base, and small swags hanging from volutes. Square die above this bearing achievements of arms on each side. Ball finial. The sculptural style is similar to the C17 garden house at Whitley Beaumont.
Notes and References
- "The Old Market Cross" in Huddersfield Chronicle (14/Jun/1851).
- For example, the 1890 Town Plan shows the cross located approximately 10 feet to the south of its current location.
- The Story of Huddersfield (1968) by Roy Brook, page 28.