Malcolm Hewley Graham (1894-1915)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- GRAHAM, MALCOLM HEWLEY. Lieutenant. 3rd, attached 2nd, Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment. Born 22.11.1894, at New Mill. Only son of Mr and Mrs H. S. Graham, of Oxley Woodhouse, Sheepridge, Huddersfield. His father was principal of the firm of Messrs Graham and Barnfather, worsted spinners, of New Mill. Educated at Huddersfield College School and Repton School. Was studying at Pembroke College, Cambridge, with a view to entering the medical profession but, on the outbreak of the war, he joined the Army. Was a fine athlete and oarsman and was a member of the Leander Club. Killed in action at Givenchy, 15.6.1915, aged 20 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated LE TOURET MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- His parents received a letter from Captain F. W. Stansfield, informing them that their son had been shot in the neck and died instantly, 'The men charged like heroes and out of eleven Officers and three hundred and sixty men who took part in the attack only one Officer and about eighty men got back untouched. All the rest are killed, wounded or missing. Your son was a most gallant officer, very keen and hard working and he will be a great loss to the battalion. Please accept the deepest sympathy of all ranks in your great loss.'
- ROH:- Huddersfield College School; Christ Church, Woodhouse Hill.
- A chancel screen was dedicated to his memory at Christ Church on Sunday, 21.4.1917. It bears the inscription, 'He died as few men get the chance to die; fighting to save a world's morality. He died the noblest death a man may die, fighting for God and right and liberty and such a death's immortality.'
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Lieutenant MALCOLM HEWLEY GRAHAM
- regiment: Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Tuesday, June 15, 1915
- record ID: 857005
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #857005)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1412827)