Majestic Cinema, Viaduct Street, Huddersfield
GEOGRAPHIC STUBThis page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- also known as: Olympia Cinema, Star Picture House, New Star Picture House
- location: Viaduct Street (between Green Street & Oxford Street), Huddersfield
- status: still exists but now in different use
- category: cinema
Originally opened as the Olympia in October 1912, it was known by locals as the "rumble" — presumably due its proximity to the railway line. Subsequently it was known as Star Picture House and then the New Star Picture House.
Following a fire in August 1939, it was renovated in an Art Deco style by J.H. Freer and reopened in 1940 as the Majestic Cinema. The Majestic eventually closed in 1964.
Notes and References
- ↑ "Cinema Ablaze at Huddersfield" in Yorkshire Post (04/Aug/1939). The newspaper reported that Inspector Bennington, Chief of the Huddersfield Fire Brigade, personally rescued the cinema's cat from the fire.