Lydgate Unitarian Chapel, New Mill, Wooldale
- location: Holmfirth Road, New Mill, Wooldale
- status: still exists
- category: church or chapel
The Lydgate Unitarian Chapel is one of the oldest non-conformist chapels in Yorkshire and was opened in 1695, with a dedication service held on 28 March.
The chapel contains two brass memorial plaques to those who fell in both World Wars.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 16 January 1967
- listing entry number 1134889
HOLMFIRTH ROAD (New Mill). Lydgate Unitarian Chapel. Formerly Presbyterian, now Unitarian chapel. 1695, remodelled 1768. Hammer dressed stone. Quoins. Slate roof with gable copings on carved kneelers. Gable frontage with cupola to apex with ball finial, and supported on six hexagonal columns. Central door with round arch with keystone and impost blocks. Small window to each side with similar detailing. Elevation of three windows with round arch with keystone and impost blocks and decorative glazing. Two Venetian windows to rear gable wall. Interior said to have early C19 wall memorials one dated 1814. Portion of box pew panelling inscribed John Armitage 1695. Oliver Heywood preached at the opening in 1695.
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — baptisms 1743-1889
- Huddersfield & District Family History Society — burials 1700-1840
- Chapels and Churches of the New Mill Valley (2009) by Pamela Cooksey, pages 18-29
- The History and Topography of the Parish of Kirkburton and of the Graveship of Holme (1861) by Henry James Morehouse, pages 180-192
Notes and References
- Chapels and Churches of the New Mill Valley (2009) by Pamela Cooksey, page 18.