Luther Mellor (c.1884-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MELLOR, LUTHER. Private. No 46117. 23rd (Tyneside Scottish) Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Born Burnlee, Holmfirth. Son of the late Sam and Mrs Mellor, of Underbank. Husband of Ellen Mellor, of Sinking Wood, New Mill, Huddersfield. Educated Parkhead Day School. Attended Underbank Wesleyan Sunday School. Was a member of the Underbank football club and the Holmfirth Cricket and Athletic club. Employed by Messrs Kaye and Stewart, of Lockwood. Enlisted in the summer of 1916. Whilst in training he came home and married a local girl. Embarked for France 1.1.1917. Killed in action at Passchendaele, 18.10.1917, aged 33 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated TYNE COT MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Underbank War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private LUTHER MELLOR
- regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers
- died: Thursday, October 18, 1917
- age: 33 years
- record ID: 1635046
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1635046)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3006476)