Lower Digley Mill, Austonley
- also known as: Digley Mill
- location: Austonley
- status: no longer exists
- category: woollen mills
- notes: marked on the 1854 O.S. map
Lower Digley Mill stood on the southern side of Digley Dike and was built around 1790 for John Hirst, and possibly rebuilt or extended circa 1817. The mill was almost completely destroyed by the 1852 flood, which carried three of the mill's boilers around a mile downstream, and only the main chimney was left standing. The mill was not rebuilt by the Hirst family.
- Wool and Worsit: A History of Textiles in the Holme Valley (2013) by Michael Day, pages 95-99
Notes and References
- The map was surveyed in 1850 and 1851, and then published in 1854.
- See Royal Commission on Employment of Children in Factories (1833): George and John Hirst, Digley Mill, Holme.
- Wool and Worsit: A History of Textiles in the Holme Valley (2013) by Michael Day, pages 96-97.