Low Cote Mill, Meltham

This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Low Cote Mill (also known as Low Coit, Law Coit or Law Coyt) is a former woollen mill in Meltham and was situated next to Meltham Dike.


The mill appears on the 1854 Ordnance Survey map but was marked as "disused" on the 1890s map.

The following advertisement appeared in the Huddersfield Chronicle (19/Jul/1851):


To be LET, from year to year, or for a term of years, and may be entered upon immediately, the above WOOLLEN MILL, with Machinery, Going Gear, (nearly new.)

The Mill is worked by a Water Wheel, having a fall of 22 feet, with a plentiful supply of water. There are three Cottages attached, and excellent Wool Store, and other conveniences.

For further particulars, or to view the premises, apply to Mr. JOSEPH EASTWOOD, Meltham.

This brief advertisement appeared in May 1866:[1]


TO BE LET, LOW COIT MILL, with or without machinery.

Apply to Edwin Eastwood.

Apparently Eastwood had no interest and the contents of the mill were auctioned off on 29 June 1866:[2]


SALE of valuable WOOLLEN MACHINERY and other EFFECTS, at Low Coit Mill, Meltham, near Huddersfield.

MR. THOMAS FROGGATT begs to announce the receipt of instructions to SELL BY AUCTION, on Friday, the 29th day of June inst., commencing at Eleven o'clock in the forenoon prompt, the undermentioned MACHINERY, FITTINGS, and other EFFECTS, on the above premises, comprising 60in. scribller, with wood bends ; 40in. card scribller, 32in. carder, with cards ; 36 piecing machine, Oldfield's patent ; shake willow, with fan and strap ; one billy, 70 spindles, nearly new ; one ditto, 60 spindles ; pair of mules, 480 splindles, 2β…›in. pitch ; large and small dye pans, counter shafting, pulleys, hangers, wall boxes, vice and bench, shaft ladder, beam scales and weights, german clock, oil cans, brushes, strapping, hand and wood barrows, wool carriages, with rails ; and other effects.

Additional particulars may be obtained on application to Mr. Joseph Taylor, or to Mr. Thomas Broadbent, both of Meltham ; or the Auctioneer, at his Offices, 2, Newall's Buildings, Manchester.

The Mill to be Let.

By 1904, the area was marked on the map as Law Coyt Mineral Works, and later just Law Coyt. It is uncertain if the mill building was incorporated into the mineral works, or if it was demolished prior to then. The mill would have been very close to Station Road, which was likely built in the 1860s, so may have been demolished then.


Notes and References

  1. ↑ Huddersfield Chronicle (12/May/1866).
  2. ↑ Huddersfield Chronicle (23/Jun/1866).