Longwood Local Board
Longwood Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the township of Longwood and was formed on 27 February 1860 following a meeting at Spark Hall.
Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.
Notes and References
- "Longwood: Local Board" in Huddersfield Chronicle (25/Oct/1890).