Longwood was a township within the Parish of Huddersfield.
According to West Yorkshire: An Archaeological Survey to A.D. 1500 (1981), most of Longwood formed part of Quarmby during the Middle Ages.
The township also included a separate detached portion situated to the northwest of Lindley.
Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
Longwood is a chapelry in the same parish as Golcar, approaching to within about a mile and a quarter of Huddersfield, and extending to about four miles and a half north-west from it. The manufactures are of the same nature as those existing in Golcar. The places of worship here are a chapel of ease, subject to Huddersfield, and a meeting-house for dissenters. A free school was founded and endowed in Longwood by William Walker, in 1731, for the education of children of both sexes who are taught reading, writing, and some of the necessary rules in arithmetic. About two miles from Huddersfield, near the main road leading to Manchester, is the village of Milns-Bridge, where are several woollen cloth manufactories, and scribbling mills, that are worked by water and steam power. The population of Longwood chapelry, at the census of 1831, exceeded 2,000 persons.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
LONGWOOD, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 2¼ miles (W.) from Huddersfield; containing 2418 inhabitants. The chapelry is situated on the north of the Colne, and comprises about 1000 acres, consisting chiefly of a narrow ridge rising rapidly from the banks of a rivulet. An eminence called Slack, is supposed, from the discovery of a Roman altar dedicated to Fortune, a bath, and hypocaust, with a tessellated pavement nearly a yard in thickness, and other antiquities, to have been connected with the station of Cambodunum, by most antiquaries placed at Almondbury. The soil is generally gravel, with a slight mixture of clay, and fine grit sandstone is abundant. The population is chiefly employed in the manufacture of woollencloth, for which there are several scribbling and fulling mills, and in the making of fancy goods, which is carried on extensively. The village is neatly built, and the surrounding scenery is in some parts boldly romantic: the road from Huddersfield to Manchester passes near, as does the canal from Huddersfield to Ashton. Here is a reservoir of 12 acres, for the supply of Huddersfield with water. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Huddersfield, with a net income of £150. The chapel, now a district church, dedicated to St. Mark, is a small plain edifice with a campanile turret, erected in 1749, by subscription, and containing 420 sittings. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion. A free school was founded and endowed in 1731, by William Walker; the income is about £100.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
LONGWOOD, a village and a township-chapelry in Huddersfield parish, W.R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Leeds and Manchester branch of the Northwestern railway, 2½ miles W of Huddersfield; and has a station on the railway, gas-works erected in 1860, and a local board of health established in 1861. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Darklane, Dodlee, Hirst, Outlane, Snowy Lee, and Sunnybank, and parts of Milnes Bridge and Royds Hall. Post town, Huddersfield. Acres, 910. Real property, £8,010; of which £110 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3,023; in 1861, 3,402. Houses, 684. The property is much subdivided. Cotton-spinning, cotton-doubling, cotton warp-making, and fancy woollen manufactures are carried on. Two large reservoirs of the Huddersfield waterworks are here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. The church is a plain building, neither good nor large, with a bell-turret. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a New Connexion Methodist chapel, a mechanics' institute, free schools, national schools, and charities £98.
The extent of the township (compiled from early O.S. maps) is shown below, together with its detached portion.