Longroyd Bridge, Huddersfield
- location: Manchester Road, Huddersfield
- status: still exists
- category: bridges
- notes: road bridge over River Colne
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
The bridge was built around 1500 A.D. and the name of the area was in general use by 1560. The spelling of this word has varied over the years, from Longerode-brygge to Longroidbrig and all possible permutations between. The modern word coming into use around 1780. The meaning of the word is simply the bridge by the long field.
Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter
If, as we have suggested, the route of the 1759 turnpike followed the course of an ancient highway to the west, it follows that the river crossing at Longroyd Bridge is of similar antiquity. The upkeep of bridges was a great concern to the community and before the Turnpike Acts local townships were expected to keep their own bridges in a good state of repair. The eighteenth century indictment books of local Courts record many complaints about the state of highways and bridges. One such complaint alleges that "a certain common public bridge called Longroyd Bridge on the highway to Manchester is very ruinous, too narrow and in great decay for want of repairs so that people cannot go past that way without great danger to the common nuisance of all". The indictment goes on to point out that "The inhabitants of Huddersfield and Quarmby have from time when the memory of man is not to the contrary been accustomed and still ought to repair the said bridge". As there is no further mention of the bridge, presumably the repairs were carried out.