Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
A little further down the lane, on the left, is the entrance and driveway to New Longley Hall. When the Ramsdens visited the town from their seat at Byram they stayed at their new hall here at Nether Longley. The original house on the site was built in 1577 by John Ramsden. It was a Tudor style house, probably built four square round a courtyard.
Over the centuries various additions and alterations were made and then, in the 1870s, Sir John William Ramsden built the present house on the original foundations. Today, New Longley Hall is a school.The land over the wall on the left was once part of the demesne of New Longley Hall and was probably embarked during the eighteenth century. At that time, ornamental parkland was intended to emphasize the status and wealth of the owner. Parkland may be described as planned countryside and so the small closes of the demesne land gave way to vast open lawns planted with artfully arranged copses of trees whilst all around new plantations were established. Longley Park is now a nine hole golf course.