Board of Trade.
HUDDERSFIELD CORPORATION TRAMWAYS (PROVISIONAL ORDER).
(Powers to Corporation of Huddersfield to Construct Tramways in the Borough to be worked by Animal, Steam, Gas, Oil, Compressed Air, Wire or Rope Cables, Electricity, or any Mechanical Power, and to run Carriages, &c., thereon, and take Tolls and Charges for the Use thereof and to Provide the Requisite Plant ; Breaking-up Streets ; Levying Tolls, Rates, and Charges ; Agreements ; Borrowing Moneys ; Incorporation and Amendment of Acts.)
NOTICE is hereby given, that the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the county borough of Huddersfield (hereinafter called "the Corporation") intend to apply to the Board of Trade, for a Provisional Order, to be confirmed by Parliament in the ensuing Session, for the following or some of the following among other purposes (that is to say) :—
1. To enable the Corporation to make, lay down, form and maintain wholly in the county borough of Huddersfield (hereinafter referred to as "the Borough") the tramways hereinafter described, with all necessary and proper rails, plates, sleepers, channels (including in that word where used in this Notice channels, passages and tubes for cables, wires, poles and electric lines), junctions, turntables, turnouts, crossings, passing places and conveniences connected therewith, and where in the description of any proposed tramway any distance is given with reference to any street which intersects or joins the streets in which the tramway is to be laid, the distance is to be taken as measured from the points at which lines drawn along the centres of the two streets and continued would intersect each other, and a point described as being opposite a street is to be taken (unless otherwise stated) as opposite the centre of the street.
The following are the tramways :—
The proposed tramways will be constructed on a gauge of 4 feet 7¾ inches, and it is not intended to run on Tramways Nos. 1, 5 and 6 carriages or trucks for use on railways, but on Tramways Nos. 2, 3 and 4 it is so intended.
It is proposed to lay Tramways Nos. 1 and 6 so that for a distance of 30 feet or upwards a less space than 9 feet 6 inches will intervene between the outside of the footpath on either side of the road and the nearest rail of the tramway at the points hereinafter described, namely :—
It is proposed to lay Tramways Nos. 2, 3 and 4 so that for a distance of 30 feet or upwards a less space than 10 feet 6 inches will intervene between the outside of the footpath on either side of the road and the nearest rail of the tramway at the points hereinafter described, namely :—
The motive power to be used on the intended tramways is animal, steam, compressed air, gas or oil, and haulage by means of wire or rope cables placed underground and worked by stationary engines and electric energy generated at stations and applied by means of motors in the engines or carriages or .trucks, and communicated by means of electric lines either in or under the ground or overhead.
2. To empower the Corporation from time to time to erect poles and to make such crossings, passing places, sidings, loops, junctions and other works in addition to those specified herein as may be necessary or convenient to the efficient working of the said tramways or for effecting junctions with other tramways of the Corporation or for affording access to works or property of the Corporation, and to substitute single and interlacing lines for double lines, and double and interlacing lines for single lines.
3. To empower the Corporation from time to time when, by reason of the execution of any work in or the alteration of any street, road, highway or thoroughfare, in which any tramway, channel or electric line shall be laid or placed it is necessary or expedient so to do, to alter, remove or discontinue all or any part of such tramway, and to make and lay down in the street so altered or temporarily in the-same or any adjacent street, road, highway or thoroughfare, a substituted tramway or substituted tramways or channels or electric lines.
4. To confer on and reserve to the Corporation and their lessees the exclusive right of using on any tramways to be constructed or maintained tinder the powers of the intended Order, carriages, trucks, wagons and other vehicles drawn or propelled by any motive power before mentioned, or having wheels adapted to run on or in an edged, grooved or other rail on such tramways.
5. To authorize the Corporation and their lessees or other the person or persons working the said tramways to levy tolls, rates and charges for the use of the said tramways by carriages, trucks, wagons and other vehicles passing along the same and for the conveyance of passengers, goods, minerals, animals, merchandise and other traffic upon the same, and to confer exemptions from tolls, rates and charges.
6. To constitute the said tramways for all purposes part of the tramway undertaking of the Corporation.
7. To empower the; Corporation to place or run carriages, trucks, wagons and other vehicles on and to work and to demand and take tolls in respect of any tramways for the time being belonging to them, and to provide such stables, sheds, buildings, carriages, trucks, motors, motor cars, dynamos,, harness, engines, machinery, apparatus, horses, steam, cable, electric tramway and other plant, appliances and conveniences, and to construct and place in or under the streets, and to attach to buildings such boxes, poles, posts, works and appliances as. may be requisite or expedient for the convenient working or user of the said tramways by any motive power before mentioned, and to sell, exchange or dispose of such of the before-mentioned articles and things as from time to time may no longer be required, and for the purposes aforesaid to vary or repeal the provisions of the Tramways Act, 1870.
8. To empower the Corporation, for all or any of the purposes of the Order, to stop up, break up, alter, remove, cross and interfere with, temporarily or permanently, public and private streets, roads, highways, footways, tramways, sewers, drains, gas, water and electricity mains, valves, hydrants, pipes, tubes and street boxes and telegraph, telephone, electric lighting and other apparatus.
9. To enable the Corporation, for any of the purposes of their tramway undertaking, to purchase or otherwise acquire by agreement and to take on lease lands and hereditaments and easements thereover, and to use any lands now belonging to them and to erect offices, buildings, waiting-rooms, stables, sheds, carriage, engine, boiler and dynamo houses and other conveniences thereon.
10. To empower the Corporation to make regulations and bye-laws for all or any of the purposes mentioned in section 46 of the Tramways Act, 1870, and to extend all or any of such bye-laws to the existing as well as to the said intended tramways.
11. To empower the Corporation to apply to the purposes of the Order their borough fund and borough rate and any other funds, rates and revenues over which they have control, and any moneys they are now authorized to borrow, and to borrow further sums by debentures, mortgage, debenture stock or annuities, and to charge such moneys on all or any one of the before-mentioned funds, rates and revenues.
12. The Order will vary or extinguish all rights and privileges which might in any way interfere with its objects, and will confer other rights and privileges, and will or may incorporate with itself, and with or without alteration, all or some of the provisions of the Tramways Act, 1870 ; the Lands Clauses Acts (except the compulsory powers thereof) ; and the Local Loans Act, 1875 ; and enable the Corporation (in addition, to the powers herein specifically mentioned) to exercise all or any- of the powers of the Tramways Act, 1870, conferred on the persons therein referred to as promoters, and will or may, so far as may be necessary, alter, amend, extend and repeal the provisions of the Huddersfield Improvement Act, 1880 ; the Huddersfield Corporation Act, 1882 ; the Huddersfield Tramways and Improvement Act, 1890 ; the Huddersfield Corporation Act, 1897 ; the Huddersfield Corporation Tramways Order, 1898 ; the Huddersfield Corporation Tramways Order, 1900 ; the Huddersfield Corporation Tramways Act, 1900 ; the Huddersfield Corporation Act, 1902 ; the Huddersfield Corporation Tramways Order, 1903 ; the Huddersfield Corporation Act, 1906 ; the Huddersfield Corporation Tramways Order, 1907 : and any other Act and Order relating directly or indirectly to the Corporation, and of any and every other Act and Order which will interfere with its objects.
Duplicate plans and sections of the proposed tramways and works, and a copy of this Notice as published in the London Gazette, will be deposited for public inspection, on or before, the 30th day of November, 1909, with the Clerk of the Peace for the West Riding of the county of York at his office at Wakefield ; and on or before the same date a copy of the said plans and sections and of this Notice will be deposited at the office of the Town Clerk, in the borough, being the office of the Corporation ; and at the office of the Board of Trade, Whitehall, London.
The draft of the proposed Order will be deposited at the office of the Board of Trade on or before the 23rd day of December, 1909, and printed copies of the draft Provisional Order when, deposited, and of the Provisional Order, when, made, will be obtainable at the price of one shilling each at the office of the Town Clerk of the borough, and at the offices of the undermentioned Parliamentary Agents.
All persons desirous of making any representation to the Board of Trade, or of bringing, before them any objection respecting the application, may do so by letter addressed to the Assistant Secretary of the Railway Department of the Board of Trade on or before the 15th day of January, 1910, and copies of such objections must at the same time sent to the Corporation at the office of the Town Clerk of the borough or to their Parliamentary Agents hereinafter named ; and in forwarding such objections to the Board of Trade the objectors or their agents should state that a copy of the same has been forwarded to the Corporation or their agents.
Dated this 9th day of November, 1909.