Lodge Mill Farm, Dam Head Lane, Whitley Upper
- appears on maps: 1892 [#44]
- location on map: off Dam Head Lane, Whitley Upper
- status: partially exists
- category: farm (formerly a corn mill)
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Immediately over the bridge, on the left hand side, a bridleway leads to a house that was once part of Whitley's manorial corn mill. The first documented reference to the mill is found in 1487: "a mill held by William Swallow in Whitley" and in 1533 there is mention of a Robert Swallow of Swallow Myln. Seventy years later a Court Roll describes the corn mill as belonging to Richard Lodge. Henceforth the mill was known as Lodge Mill. The mill was still operating as a corn mill in the last quarter of the nineteenth century although by then the miller was also described as a scribbler and fancy manufacturer. Today, the mill has become Whitley Hall Lodge Farm, the name Lodge preserved some 425 years after the family of that name first settled in the area.