Lockwood and Meltham Turnpike Trust Act of 1818
The Lockwood and Meltham Turnpike Trust Act of 1818 was summarised as:
An Act for making and maintaining a Road from Lockwood to Meltham, and a Branch of Road to Meltham Mills, all in the Pariſh of Almondbury, in the Weft Riding of the County of York. [8th May 1818.]
The Lockwood and Meltham Turnpike, comprising the modern-day Meltham Road and Huddersfield Road between Lockwood and Meltham, operated as a turnpike toll road between 1818 and 1874.
Tolls were collected at three locations:
- Dungeon Wood — originally situated halfway between Lockwood Viaduct and the access road to Dungeon Mill, but moved to Big Valley in South Crosland in 1871
- Netherton — at the junction of Church Lane which leads to South Crosland
- Harewood Bridge — at the junction to Meltham Mills